SHSO Community Hub Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SHSO Hub  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)

Go down 
+10
MaskedHatJudge
He-Man
Miss Fantastic
SingingSorcerer
Toxic
Shadowlarvitar
Invisible Pepper Giraffe
Wailing Crusader Gargoyle
LeoH
Stefadeth
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Stefadeth

Stefadeth

Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) Empty
PostSubject: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 10:09 am

I was curious what you guys think of the whole villains as playable characters deal that is going on?

Personally I think Gazillion should have kept it heroes only. The game is called Super HERO Squad Online for a reason. It feels a bit cheap to re-use bosses as playable characters, but hey, that´s just my 2 cents.

So what say thee? Yay Twisted Evil or Nay Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
LeoH

LeoH

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 10:17 am

Well,Some people like villains more than heroes sometimes,so i think it's good that they put some villains as playable. Some villains will never be playable too,like Red Skull
Back to top Go down
Stefadeth

Stefadeth

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 10:42 am

True. But maybe they should have kept them contained in Villainsville. Wink 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 2:25 pm

I can see both sides of the issue... some historical villains have had stints serving (or at least pretending to serve) with the good guys (Magneto, Doom, Enchantress and Juggernaut come to mind and I am surely missing some) and many of our current favorite heroes started out as bad guys!

Venom has always been more of an enemy of Spider-Man than a true villain... makes sense that minus that vendetta he would use his powers to help people ("innocents"). Based on pure criminal activity (meaning law breaking), Venom is probably less of a bad guy than the Punisher.

It is interesting that frequently an alignment change also coincides with a costume change. FF Doom playable makes more sense than green Doom playable. New Mutants costume Magneto or one of his other more benevolent forms makes more sense than the classic villain costume playable.

It would be VERY interesting to restrict certain characters to certain zones... the most interesting possibility would be to switch the Villainville mayhem missions to heroes! It would be a fun way for Venom to take on Spidey or Doom to take on the FF (instead of the other way around).
Back to top Go down
Invisible Pepper Giraffe

Invisible Pepper Giraffe

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 4:52 pm

I think it's pretty awsome that there playable villans, but i think that they should have their own missions. Like Gargoyle said (not entirely the same, but whatever), the villans should play villans, not heroes so they have to play missions in which they are bad.
Back to top Go down
Shadowlarvitar

Shadowlarvitar

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 4:54 pm

I like that we can play as villains. There aren't a lot of games that let us play as the bad guys.
Back to top Go down
Toxic

Toxic

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 6:09 pm

Really love playable villains just hate the boxes. A year or so ago I remember wanting playable villains badly but never thinking it would happen.

Hope we get more releases like Dr. Doom, and so far it looks Mystique WON'T be in a box which is awesome!

Crossing my fingers for a playable Sabretooth and Juggy
Back to top Go down
SingingSorcerer

SingingSorcerer

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 4:11 am

I think having some playable villains within the game isn't a bad idea as long as the heroes are still a main focus for further development. In relation to everybody's favourite symbiote I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a new Flash Thompson hero Agent Venom costume come out to play. What do others think?
Back to top Go down
Miss Fantastic

Miss Fantastic

Location : The Baxter Building (The 34th story, to be precise.)

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 1:03 pm

Shadowlarvitar wrote:
I like that we can play as villains. There aren't a lot of games that let us play as the bad guys.

Eggs-xactly, and as long as it remains that the majority of playable characters are actual heroes/good guys, I don't see what the problem is. Not only is variety the spice of life, but heck, if grey area characters like Punisher and Deadpool (with or without him currently being THE court jester of Marvel-dom), both of whom started out as villains, can be heroes, then why not have playable villains as well?

The villains becoming playable when they possibly weren't intended to do so, but a little thing called popular demand intervened, reminds me of a bit of Street Fighter history. The four bosses (Balrog/M. Bison in Japan, Vega/Balrog in Japan, Sagat, and M. Bison/Vega in Japan) in the original release of Street Fighter 2 were never meant to be playable. But because of overwhelming player demand, Capcom made them playable in the subsequent 'Turbo'/'Super' releases of SF2, and of course, the rest is video/fighting game history.
Back to top Go down
He-Man

He-Man

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm very much in favor of playable villains.

I tend to prefer playing cool looking characters and half of the time, those characters tend to be anti-heroes or villains. Besides, I'd rather play a villain than another iteration of Iron Man or Spider-Man, yuck!

I'm really hoping we end up seeing Juggernaut and Apocalypse as playable villains sooner than later, since along with Thanos, they make up my 3 most wanted villains in the game, with Juggernaut being my favorite Marvel villain of all.
Back to top Go down
MaskedHatJudge

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Nay, but mostly because I think Gazillion is making a mistake by trying to retain its audience by simply offering more things to buy.  To introduce villains that are the same as heroes but with different powers just highlights the fact that purchased characters are essentially just interchangable sprites.  

I'd much rather see some game mechanic introduced that increases a player's attachment to his/her characters.  As some people on this thread have suggested, the player could encounter the game world in a different way based on which character is in play (i.e. different missions/zones for villains and heroes).  And what about an alignment mechanic that makes a character more heroic or villainous based on the type of mission he/she runs, thereby opening and closing zones/missions based on the character's current alignment?  Or what if we could buy customizable characters?  Players will have very, very high attachment to characters that they themselves create.  And this would work out well for Gazillion; increasing and maintaining player attachment is what makes them stay, and loyal players mean more revenue for Gazillion.  As a side note, allowing customizable characters would provide a whole new world of "sellable" items... costume parts, powers, movement modes, the character itself, etc.

Don't get me wrong... I like the game because it's simple.  Gazillion won't want to change the nature of the game by introducing something complex, and they won't want to introduce truly villainous activities because of the kid-friendly nature of the game.  You wouldn't want ten year olds being encouraged to fight police, for instance, or gas the inhabitants of Superhero City.  "Villainous" missions would have to be something like stealing the door knocker off Avenger's mansion.  Nevertheless, I think there are simple game mechanics (simple to play, not necessarily simple to develop) that could make the gaming experience richer and offer Gazillion the opportunity to create an even more "sticky" gaming experience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 1:30 pm

He-Man wrote:
I'm very much in favor of playable villains.

I'm really hoping we end up seeing Juggernaut and Apocalypse...

I hear you on Juggy... he's been a good guy lately anyway, correct? He'd be great in zones.

I just got MODOK today and he's so funny. I think as long as the villains can be so funny and make the zones richer, they are good adds. They did so many hilarious animations with MODOK that I'm not really seeing him as a reskin at all.
Back to top Go down
pokelement

pokelement

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 5:17 pm

I though they released Magneto ,ff doom and Venom cause they were villains at first than they became heroes or they became netrual, but when they started releasing GG, Doc Ock and others, i knew shso was running out of ideas.
Back to top Go down
Shadowlarvitar

Shadowlarvitar

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 6:12 pm

pokelement wrote:
I though they released Magneto ,ff doom and Venom cause they were villains at first than they became heroes or they became netrual, but when they started releasing GG, Doc Ock and others, i knew shso was running out of ideas.
Green Goblin has been a good guy before. It wasn't Norman though. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Ultronic Bot

Ultronic Bot

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptyTue May 13, 2014 9:50 pm

One of the playable characters is ...Ultron!
Back to top Go down
Ultronic Bot

Ultronic Bot

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptyTue May 13, 2014 9:54 pm

Your contributes to this post are obsolete and I understand that, but now, there are boxes. The majority of the featured characters in those boxes are villains (like ...ULTRON!), so now it is safe to say that you can be villains.
Back to top Go down
Mysterio

Mysterio

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Yay
Back to top Go down
Sylvain

Sylvain

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 6:47 pm

Villains FTW I think it's great. Often times heroes and villains in the Marvel universe must work together against greater threats. I enjoy playing villains as well as heroes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)   Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?) Empty

Back to top Go down

Playable Villains (Yay or Nay?)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SHSO Community Hub Forums :: SHSO Central :: General SHSO Talk-
Jump to: